A friend once told me, when you go for a networking event, the most fruitful outcome actually comes from meeting one or two key contacts that you can follow up and have tangible actions post event. So yeap when you go for a networking event:
- Research beforehand who is heading to the event and find out who you should meet.
- Dont go around collecting namecards and spend 1-2 minute only per person. Instead, should focus on one or two interesting people that fulfills your networking goal and work on the relationship.
- If you want to get in touch with someone high profile but am held back with whatever reason, go ahead and say hi, or at least put a face to your name.
- Start small. Talk to someone that is looking around as well.
- Know when to move on.
- Follow up.
- And one more thing which always help: “How can I help you?”. It’s a good gesture on your side, and a good way to end the conversation as well as good way to prompt a follow up. Learnt this from a fellow entrepreneur as well.